EASY DIY Optimus Prime Costume (Rescue Bots)



My son Mason who is 3 years old (almost 4), wanted to be Optimus Prime for Halloween. He has been watching Transformers Rescue Bots for a few years now, so I knew I wanted to make the Rescue Bots version. I have made his last two Halloween costumes and I was really excited to make this one!

So I sat down to do some research on it and Googled "DIY Optimus Prime costume" and a bunch of images popped up that seemed really hard to do and also really hard to trick-or-treat in looking quite boxy and hard to move in, so I just used them as inspiration and came up with my own version aka the EASY version!

Supplies:

2 cereal boxes (I used large Cheerios boxes)
1 additional cereal box to be cut up
2 small boxes (I used Keurig k-cup boxes that I had laying around)
Duct tape: red, blue, metallic silver (I found mine on Amazon)
2 empty paper towel rolls
Cotton balls
Black construction paper
Gray paint (I mixed black and white together because that's all I had)
1 pair of blue gloves (I found these on Amazon)
Optimus Prime mask - DIY or store-bought (more on this below)
Optimus Prime logos (printables below)
Plastic for windshield (optional, see below)
Hot Glue Gun
Mod Podge
4 small LED flashlights (optional)
Blue sweatpants (I found mine at Walmart)
Red Shirt (Already owned a red fleece from Kohls)

Instructions:

Comments

Kimberly ann said…
Thank you so much for taking the time to list and describe how you made this optimus costume. My 3 year old son is obsessed with transformers and I wanted something special to do for him and I came across your blog. I've been working on it for about weeks now and its coming along. The only mistake I made was I used family size cereal boxes (thought I read that) they're a little big for my Lil gut but they will do. I will post pics after Halloween. ;)
Sara said…
Yay! I'm so glad you left me a comment and like my post! I would love to see the final product :)
Anonymous said…
Your so welcome!! I received so many compliments that I did an amazing job but couldn't give me all the credit. You're step by step instructions help me with it. I'm not creative enough to come up with that. Lol. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture.
Unknown said…
Can you direct me on where or how I can upload a picture to you?
Sara said…
Hi, you can email me at sarajoanides@yahoo.com :)
annetteb said…
This has been a HUGE lifesaver. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!
Sara said…
Yay!!! I'm so glad it helped!! 😃👏🏻

Popular posts from this blog

Project Organize: Home Office

Kitchen Reno redo 2.0